Five Tips to Choose the Perfect Carpet for Your Home
Before you race out and buy just any carpet, read this, it could save you a lot of time and money in the future!
Flooring is not cheap, which is why it is important you get it right the first time. Choose the perfect carpet for your home and you will get upwards of 10 years minimum from your flooring. It is an investment so treat it like one.
How to choose the perfect carpet
Finding the right flooring for your home does not have to be a difficult task, but there are several factors you should consider before making your selections.
- Lifestyle – The way you live your life is crucial in what type of carpet you should install. If you are a couple wanting a touch of luxury, plush pile might be just what you are looking for. If you are family with young kids and pets, a hardwearing multi-coloured or patterned textured loop pile carpet would be a better choice.
- Ease of cleaning – Not all carpets require the same amount of upkeep and maintenance, which is why it is vital you do your research prior to selecting the fibre and colour.
Cut pile is very soft and luxurious underfoot however it shows footprints and vacuum cleaner tracks. Loop pile is durable and great for high traffic areas. It is very easy to clean and does not show footprints.
- Anticipate fading – Your carpet will fade over time which is why you need to consider the colour and how much it could fade. Regardless of your colour choice, it will fade, which is why you should lay carpet that is approx. two shades darker than you want.
You should also consider how much direct sunlight will hit the carpet as this will also impact the severity of fading.
- Colours – Choosing a colour is not as easy as you think. You need to consider the ambience you want to achieve in your home and go from there. Dark coloured carpets make your home appear cosy whereas light colours make the room seem brighter and larger. If you have children or inside pets, neutral or dark colours might be best as they are more forgiving when it comes to stains.
- Fibres – There are several fibres used to make carpets and they all offer something different, here are some of the most commonly used.
Nylon: This carpet is typically long lasting, durable and stain resistant which means it is easy to clean. This is a versatile fibre that is used in countless styles of carpet.
Wool: As you would expect, wool fibres create a luxurious feel while retaining a hardwearing carpet.
Polypropylene: This is a very cost effective option as it is a man-made fibre and while it can often look and feel cheap, it is commonly used in rental properties as it is hard wearing and stain resistant.
You may not even realise but your carpet offers you more than just attractive flooring and somewhere soft to put your feet. Carpet is great for insulation, in both summer and winter. Not to mention reducing noise levels from room to room, which is ideal if there is more than one person in living in your home.
Not all carpets are created equal and it is up to you to ensure you chose the perfect carpet for your needs and your home. Don’t leave the decision to chance and hope you get the right one; it could be a very expensive mistake if you get it wrong!
If you need help to choose the perfect carpet for your home, contact the professional team at Bennetts Carpets TODAY on 1300 653 314!